Special Education / Sec 504 CLP
The IPS Special Education Department is committed to supporting our students with disabilities, especially during this difficult time. Teachers and service providers will work closely with each family to develop a reasonable and flexible plan to best meet the needs of our students. Please consider the following items in this process:
- Students receiving special education will receive support from the service provider(s) listed on the IEP. The service delivery and service times will likely look very different than those provided in the traditional school setting.
- As Ionia Public Schools move forward with the Continuity of Learning Plan (“the Plan”), students eligible for special education will continue to receive special education support to access the curriculum in “the Plan” and maintain progress on goals and objectives to the greatest extent possible.
- Case managers and other service providers will work with parents to develop an individualized special education “Contingency Learning Plan” that will address special education needs during the school closure.
- This plan will outline reasonable, appropriate, and individualized special education supports during this crisis.
- As always, the student’s case manager will be the primary contact regarding special education.
- Case managers will work with general education teachers and parents to provide accommodations for students.
- Case managers and service providers will address specific accessibility issues for students.
- Instruction may be asynchronous and or synchronous, and will address student goals and objectives.
- Instructional delivery will be provided through a variety of options. Some of these may include the following:
- Pre-recorded lessons on targeted goals & objectives
- Virtual (e.g. Google Hangouts/Meet) opportunities for individualized instruction
- Small group instruction when appropriate and with parent consent
- Videos, online assignments, and/or activities to support learning
- Scheduled office hours when appropriate
- Individualized packets and activities/online activities, books, visuals, social stories
- Instructional videos for students and parents
- Individualized student/family contacts will be provided
- Case managers and service providers will work with families to determine a schedule of service delivery.
- When school resumes, the most recent IEP will continue.
As Ionia Public Schools move forward with the Continuity of Learning Plan (“the Plan”), students eligible for Section 504 plans will continue to receive their accommodations that are applicable and reasonable to the greatest extent possible. In addition, the building’s Section 504 coordinators and/or teachers will:
- Review each Section 504 plan.
- Address any applicable accommodations students require (e.g. extended time, tests read aloud to students, etc.).
- Communicate the accommodations to parents/guardians and students.
- Develop and document accommodations for students.
- Address specific accessibility issues for students.
If you have any questions regarding your child’s Section 504 plan, please contact the building’s Section 504 Coordinator:
Kara Moore firstname.lastname@example.org